Corona virus disease globally know as COVID-19, is an infectious and deadly disease caused by a newly discovered virus.
Most People infected with the coronavirius experience mild to moderate respiratory illness and they recover without requiring special treatment. while in Older people, and those with underlying medical problems like cardiovascular disease, diabetes, chronic respiratory disease, cancer etc are more likely to develop serious illness and leads to death.
To prevent and slow down the community transmission COVID19 is by getting to know about the virus, the disease it causes and how it spreads. there is need for us to protect yourselves and others from this infectious disease .
The corona virus spreads primarily through droplets of saliva or discharge from the nose when an infected person coughs or sneezes, so it’s important that you also practice respiratory etiquette (for example, by coughing into a flexed elbow).
NOTE; There are no specific vaccines or treatments for COVID-19 approved by World Health Organization (WHO).
COVID-19 affects people differently. Most infected people will develop mild to moderate illness and recover without medical attention.
Most common symptoms:
- dry cough.
Less common symptoms:
- aches and pains.
- sore throat.
- loss of taste or smell.
- a rash on skin, or decolouration of fingers or toes.
- difficulty breathing or shortness of breath.
- chest pain or pressure.
- loss of speech or movement.
Seek immediate medical attention if you have serious symptoms. Always call before visiting your doctor or health facility.
People with mild symptoms who are otherwise healthy should manage their symptoms at home.
On average it takes 5–6 days from when someone is infected with the virus for symptoms to show, however it can take up to 14 days.
To prevent infection and to slow transmission of COVID-19, do the following:
- Wash your hands regularly with soap and water under a clean running water, or clean your hands with alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
- Maintain at least 1 meter distance between you and people coughing or sneezing.
- Avoid touching your face.
- Cover your mouth and nose when coughing or sneezing.
- Stay home if you feel unwell.
- Stay away from smoking and other activities that weaken the lungs.
- Practice physical distancing by avoiding unnecessary travel and staying away from large groups of people.